Planning & Building Frequently Asked Questions


Q: Do I need a permit?  Which permits do I need?

A:  This depends on your project.  Please give our office a call at 541-276-3099 to discuss it with us.  

Q:  What is a Development Permit?

A:  A Development Permit is required for almost all new construction, alteration, renovations, and remodels of structures on the Umatilla Indian Reservation.  This permit can cover all planning review, site work, structural, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical work for a project under a single permit.  

Q: How do I submit my permit application?

A: There are three ways to submit application materials to the Tribal Planning Office:

1. E-mail your application and all supplemental materials (such as plans, site information, etc.) to

2. Mail your submission to our office at:

ATTN: Tribal Planning Office
46411 Timine Way
Pendleton, OR 97801

3. Submit your application in person at our office, located on the second floor of the Nixyaawii Governance Center.  
(Please note that the NGC may be closed to the public in light of the ongoing COVID epidemic.  Call our office at 541-429-3099 to make an appointment before visiting us!)

Q:  How much will my permits cost?

A:  Our fee schedules for our planning & development permits are available on our Planning Permits Applications & Forms page.  Please contact us to request an estimate for a specific project.

Q: What do I need to submit for a Demolition Permit?

A: If the building you wish to demolish was constructed prior to January 1, 2004, you will need to submit an asbestos inspection report and certificate along with your Demolition Permit application.  You can find more information on Oregon Department of Environmental Quality's asbestos rules here.  Regardless of who is applying for the Demolition Permit, the Tribal Planning Office must have original signatures on the application from all property owners, or a letter permitting the demolition signed by the same.